SBDC Convention 2019
The 2019 Convention is shaping up to be one of our best yet!
This year will feature esteemed lecturer Dr. Leonard Foster (Professor & Head of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of British Columbia) on the topic of High Resolution Spectrometry. Dr. Elemir Simko and his team will update you on AFB and other research projects. Geoff Wilson will highlight each day’s program with Efficacy of Apivar and AFB/EFB occurrences in Saskatchewan respectively, along with Hannah Neil – Research Lead, on the current ADF and Adopt projects. Medhat Nasr will be returning to speak on “Challenges of Keeping your honey bees alive”.
In addition to the speakers, the SBDC 2019 AGM is scheduled for Friday November 29 at 3:00 p.m. which will include the financials, year in review, and elections.
How to register
- Download the 2019 Convention Registration Form
- Fill it out
- Email it to:
firstname.lastname@example.org Or, mail it along with your cheque to:
Saskatchewan Beekeepers Development Commission (SBDC)
Saskatoon, SK S7H 5P1
Download the SBDC Registration form
- Phil Craft – Vetro-Pharma
- Geoff Wilson – Provincial Specialist in Apiculture
- Colleen Rooney – Saskatchewan Crop Insurance Corp.
- Mario Swinkels – Maritime Beekeepers Association
- Leonard Foster – University of British Columbia
- Peter Awarm
- Dr. James Tansey – Government of Saskatchewan
- Western College Veterinary Medicine
- Dr. Sarah Wood
- Dr. Ivanna Kozii
- Dr. Colby Klein
- Dr. Igor Medici de Mattos
- Dr. Michael Zabrodski
- Dr. Elemir Simko
- Medhat Nasr
- Albert Robertson
- Latika Mogla
- Jonathon Heisch
- Jeremy Olthoff
Thursday, November 28, 2019
- 8:00 Registration
- 9:10 Welcome – Simon Lalonde – SBDC President
- 9:15 The Saskatraz Project: Breeding Logistic. Selection methods, Molecular Markers – Albert Robertson – Meadowridge Honey
- 9:35 ADOPT Spring 2019: Demonstrating Varroa Mite Sampling Plans for Commercial Beekeepers ADOPT Fall 2019: Demonstrating Flying Distance of Honey Bees during Dearth in SK. – Hannah Neil SBDC Lead Researcher
- 10:05 Apimondia Debrief – Jake Berg – SJ Bees
- 10:20 Coffee Break – Sponsored by: Mann Lake Ltd
- 10:45 “Amitraz Resistance in Varroa Mite” – Phil Craft – Veto Pharma
- 11:15 “ Efficacy of Apivar “– Geoff Wilson -Provincial Apiarist/ Government of Saskatchewan
- 11:40 Question Period – Phil Craft and Geoff Wilson
- 12:00 Lunch
- 1:15 “Does thiamethoxam decrease overwinter survival of honey bee colonies in Saskatchewan” Dr. Sarah Wood
- 1:25 “Do pesticide enhance susceptibility of honeybee larvae to European Foulbrood” – Dr. Sarah Wood
- 1:35 The weakest caste: “differential neonicotinoid toxicity on honeybee workers, drones & queens” – Dr. Ivanna Kozii
- 1:50 “ Does thiamethoxam affect sperm quality of drones” – Dr. Colby Klein
- 2:05 Update on American Foul Brood Surveillance – Dr. Michael Zabrodski
- 2:20 Probiotics and Prebiotics: “ Whats new on Nosemosis control?” – Dr. Igor Medici de Mattos
- 2:35 Overview of the WCVM Honey Bee Research and Teaching Program – Dr. Elemir Simko
- 2:55 Platinum Sponsor Presentation – Strong Microbials
- 3:00 Coffee Break – Sponsored by: BHF Sales Ltd/Bartel Honey Farms Inc.
- 3:25 Challenges of Keeping the honey bee alive: The Big R then what? – Medhat Nasr
- 4:10 SCIC Update – Colleen Rooney Saskatchewan Crop Insurance Corporation
- 4:25 SBDC Website Update – Derek Moyen
- 5:00 Days Session Ends (on your own for supper)
- 8:00 Wine & Cheese- Social evening @ the Sponsor Display area
Friday, November 29, 2019
- 8:45 ADF- Exploring Prebiotic Feed Supplements for Honeybees and their impact on Colony Health – Hannah Neil SBDC Lead Researcher
- 9:05 “Do East Coast bees buzz with an east coast Accent?” Mario Swinkels
- 9:30 AFB/EFB occurrences in Saskatchewan – Geoff Wilson -Provincial Apiarist/ Government of Saskatchewan
- 10:00 Coffee Break – BHF Sales Ltd/Bartel Honey Farms Inc
- 10:30 The use of NMR in evaluating imported honey – Peter Awram
- 11:00 High Resolution Mass Spectrometery for evaluating honey analysis– Leonard Foster – Professor & Head Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Faculty of Medicine – University of British Columbia
- 11:30 Enhanced honey authenticity surveillance 2018 – 2019 CFIA – Latika Molga & Jonathon Heisch via video conference
- 12:00 Lunch
- 1:15 Provincial Agriculture Pest Pressue – Dr. James Tansey – Provincial Entomologist (Insect/Pest Management Specialists) Government of Saskatchewan
- 1:55 Update on Tech Team Research – Jeremy Olthoff Alberta Beekeepers Commissoon
- 2:10 TBC – Phil Craft
- 2.40 Coffee Break – Tony Lalonde Sales PRT
- 3:00 Annual General Meeting
- Financial Presentation
- Year in Review
- Director’s Report
- Election 2019 Call for election and Nomination form
- Election Results
- 5:00 Day’s Session Ends (Banquet at 7:00 p.m.)
- 6:00 Happy Hour- Banquet at 7:00 p.m.
Saturday November 30, 2019
- 8:00 SHPP Workshop – in cooperation with Manitoba Cooperative Honey Producers – A practical, hands on approach to understanding the SHPP 2019 and how to apply these practices to your operation.
- 1:00 Biosecurity – 20 Attendees required – Please pre-register by sending an email to email@example.com or by calling Linda @ (306) 715-4281 for further details.
Saskatchewan Beekeepers Development Commission would like to extend a sincere thank you to our sponsors for supporting our 2019 Convention.
Tony Lalonde Sales PRT
- BH Sales/Bartel Honey Farms Inc
- Fraser Auction Services
- Manitoba Cooperative Honey Producers Ltd
- Mann Lake Ltd
- Dancing Bee Equipment
- Howland Enterprises Inc
- Joans Beeswax Candles
- Joe’s Wax Works
- Mauser Packaging Solutions
- Propolis ETC…
- Sun River Honey Inc
- Techtoba Inc.
- Odem International Inc
- BHF Sales/Bartel Honey Farms Inc
- Delta by Marriott – Downtown
- Mann Lake Ltd.
- Tony Lalonde Sales PRT.